Thursday, October 8, 2015

Late Summer Musak


Well I've finally got enough songs that it's worth putting them up here again.  Beyond one great song, I'm not sure any of these are real winners.  One is just damned funny in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with the song itself, one is another postmodern take on a good song, one is a bad cover, and two are blasts from the past that should have been on my playlist years ago.

I think one reason I haven't got as much 'winning' new music lately is that they've really come down hard on us at work.  Technically nothing has changed, they've just started to enforce a rule that has always been in effect.

Here's the laydown.  The software we use to document on our patients is huge.  I mean that in just about every way imaginable.  I'm pretty good at it, but I still think I only know about 50% of it's capabilities.  Some of it's capabilities are beyond me as they are intended for medical providers.  Doctors, Physician's Assistants, Nurse Practitioners.  But I'll still occasionally find something new (to me) that seems like an obvious improvement.

Anywho, the software is also ran completely over the network.  Sure, there is a large local file that runs, but all of it's data comes from a server farm.  And when I say 'all' of it's data, I mean all the data from the entire department of corrections.  All of the patients past and present.  All of the facilities.  All of the LPNs, RNs, RDs, Pharm Techs, NPs, PAs, and Doctors.  Naturally with that much data moving in and out, it's incredibly temperamental of network availability.  Unfortunately this makes the network a key area for the 'techs' to point at whenever we complain that it's slow.


They just upgraded the software a couple months back and it was SO slow.  Just about every action we take requires us to 'preview' the documentation.  That just means that it's pulling all of the data we put in and formatting it to a easily read and understood way.  That 'previewing' process normally takes about 5 seconds.  After the upgrade it was taking 10 minutes.  With a single appointment we nurses will often have to preview 3 or 4 different documents.  If it's a more involved appointment (like a transfer) we may have to preview 8 documents.

In other words this slowdown was making documenting our work impossible.  So we did the only thing we're empowered to do... complain to tech support.  We complained well and we complained often.  The result of our complaints, they blamed the new slowdown on the old standby... network issues.  Specifically to many people using the network.  So they cracked down HARD on streaming any music or videos.  One nurse got written up for it.  Needless to say, I've stopped using it.

Yeah, I meant for that story to simply be; I can't listen to good music at work anymore.  Sorry about that.  On to the music:

Starting off, I really LOVED that S.O.B. song I posted last time.  I went so far as to get another song by the same band;

Howling at Nothing by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats

I actually dig this song more than S.O.B.  I still love S.O.B., but this one has such a great calming groove.  Where S.O.B. is great when I'm in a good boistrous mood, Howling at Nothing works for almost all moods.


Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band

OK, while I do honestly like KC and the Sunshine Band, this isn't a song that would normally make me listen up, let alone purchase it.  But it's used in the movie Kingsman: The Secret Service in an incredibly hilarious way.  Now every time I hear it I'm going to picture that part of the movie.  If you haven't seen the movie, stop what you are doing and go watch it now.  It's so worth your time!


A World of Our Own by The Seekers

This is what listening to the local radio station gets me.  This song must have played at least three times and at one point I started tapping my toes to it.  I wrote down the name of it to give it a better listen when I got home.  Sadly when I found the note, I bought it without giving it another listen.

I hate this song.  It's truly awful.  I won't even give it one star... it doesn't deserve a star.


Seven Nation Army (feat. Haley Reinhart) by Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox

I love the song Seven Nation Army but have never heard a cover worth keeping.  And while this version certainly isn't better than the original it has a real style all it's own and can happily stand up in my collection of music.


Girls Just Want to Have Fun by STRFKR

Kind of a funny story behind this one.  While driving to work the other day I ended up listening to 'Material Girl' by Madonna over and over.  It's a good song, but it also was putting me in a 'Caitlyn' mood.  I don't often get anywhere near a 'Caitlyn' mood while at work but the day was ending on a bad note and I wanted to improve my mood before heading out... so I brought up youtube (risking the wrath of tech support) and looked for 'Caitlyn' style songs.  After listening to a few I looked for Girls Just Want to Have Fun and accidently clicked on this version instead of the Cyndi Lauper version.  You know what... not bad.  It's probably not good enough to hang in there long term, but it's getting a few listens recently.

Hold My Hand by Hootie & The Blowfish

Only Wanna Be With You  by Hootie & The Blowfish

These two fine Hootie songs were added after hearing them at work.  Yeah I know, but the radio still sucks and I'm not going to go further down that road.  Anywho, I heard it and realized I didn't have any Hootie.  None.  So I bought these two songs and really should have had them in my collection for a long time now.  If I really do start to groove to them I might look into Darious Rucker and see how his country is. 


So... that's my new music since July.  Not a great collection for an almost 2 month period, but not bad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment