Monday, October 26, 2015

Got the Job


Since the title let the cat out of the bag, lemme start off by saying that searching for an image about a new job kind of sucks.  It either involves people shaking hands, or signs or post it notes.

And then I come across this bear card.  It made me giggle.  It still makes me giggle.  That's why it's there!

So.  Yes, I finally got the transfer.  A quick recap, I heard about this job at the intake center in September of last year.  I hemmed.  I hawed.  I thought long and hard about it, but I decided to try and get it.  Unfortunately that though processes took to long and the door closed before I could toss my resume in.  Of course it also closed just after I told my supervisor that I was looking at a different job!

I told my supervisor, after finding out that I wouldn't be getting the job, that I would happily stay where I was... until that job came open again.  That job eventually opened back up in May of this year.  This time I got my name onto the transfer list soon enough and was even invited in for a tour.  If I was interested in the job before, the tour completely sold me on the idea.  The job would be primarily as an intake nurse.  It would be 10:30 am - 7:00 pm (as opposed to my current 1:30 pm - 10:00 pm), the clinic closes at the end of the shift and all urgent calls are sent elsewhere during the last hour (meaning no unexpected hour long overtime stints to take care of a fake heart attack), I'd share the shift with like 5 other RNs, it's Monday through Friday and only every 5th weekend, and never work in the med room again.  Yeah... I fell in love.


And then my luck struck another chord... the job opening never opened. The supervisor was pissed about it, but said to keep in contact.  I emailed her a little over a month ago and then began the game of inches.  She said it would be opening up again, but at the end of September.  At the end of September she told me it would definitely be opening in early October.  In early October she said it opened but had to go for at least 5 days for an internal transfer (meaning a nurse currently there could go for it and get it before it became available to me) then it had to sit for at so many days as an external transfer (which I was) to see if anyone else put in for a transfer, then it would be down to whomever had the most time in as a state employee.

GAH! I was contacting her throughout this process and updating my own supervisor who bemoaned the fact that I wanted to leave at all.  And to make matters worse, I couldn't pick a worse time to leave my current job.  Our health unit manager (the head honcho of health services at a correctional facility) got promoted to the director of nursing.  The head honcho of ALL nusring for the department of corrections.  My supervisor got promoted to the HUM's position, and another nurse was promoted to be the new supervisor.  Another nurse is leaving on maternity leave, and yet another nurse is about two shakes away from getting fired.  So we're short on nurses before I leave.

Throughout all of this, my supervisor was telling me how much she wanted me to stay.  But as I said when this position came open in May/June of this year (and then didn't come open), I had already made up my mind... this job was worth the change.  Nothing major had changed since I made that call back in September of last year.

Well... I got the letter in my email.  I got the transfer!  I start my new job on November 9th.  That timeline was accepted by my supervisor/HUM, so there's nothing standing in the way now.  That first week will be orienting on the 'early ' shift.  I almost laughed out loud when my new supervisor apologized for having me work "so early" for a week.

It's 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.  Yes, that's earlier than I currently work, but come on... it's only 2.5 hours earlier than my new regular start time.  I'll set an alarm just to be on the safe side, but I will probably wake up before the alarm forces me to.

Heh... early.

I'm sure I'll have more to tell once I get the job.  For now I'm experiencing my series of "lasts" at work.  I had my Last Sunday yesterday.  I'll soon have my last day in the med room, my last transfer, my last call out, and finally my last time clocking out at that facility.  I'm happy and sad, and most of my co-workers are on the same page.  I've heard over and over and over again that they'll miss me and that I as the "rock" on second shift in the south clinic.  I take that as very high praise, as the other two nurses on 2nd shift are more experienced than me by several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment