Sunday, June 7, 2015

Upgrades


I think everybody likes an upgrade.  I know I do.  I like new, but at the same time I like the familiar.  It seems like lately I've been doing a lot of upgrades... sometimes big, sometimes small.  Android 5.1.1 for my Nexus, Windows 10 for my computer, my iPod Nano to an iPod Touch, Fiona to Ginger, possibly my job.

I remember having a conversation with my friend A, and one thing we discussed was the constant desire for improvement.  We were talking about how we admired that desire in others and sought it out in friends and colleagues.  It's not just the big things... looking to improve your job, your pay, your life... but the small things.  Can you improve the way you fold your socks?  Can  you improve the way you make your morning coffee?

Here's a pretty good example of that constant improvement mentality.  When I get up in the morning to take a shower I stand in front of my wardrobe.  I used to grab my shirt and jeans in one hand and a pair of underwear in the other.  Now I pull out a pair of underwear, pull out a pair of jeans, and grab a shirt off it's hanger.  I'll fold all of these items over my left arm and then walk from my bedroom into the bathroom.  Pulling my shirt off with my right hand I'm able to lay out my jeans and underwear in one motion, then place the shirt on it'a hook (letting it get a steam from the shower) by simply pivoting around toward it.  It's a stupid silly thing to even consider, but it's made me happier that I found a way to improve this single action that I take every single day.


That's the same way that I look at upgrades.  They shouldn't just be new and shiny (although new and shiny is awesome in it's own right!), they should improve a basic function of my life.  Sometimes those improvements are vast (getting my first nursing job), and sometimes they are minor (upgrading my Nexus from Android 5.1 to 5.1.1).

Last night, I upgraded my old Samsung Galaxy S4 from Android 4.4.4 to Android 5.0.1 (the newest one available to it).  It took me a good hour to get it done.  I was so happy when finished that I took a picture of the 'about' screen showing off the Android version and texted it to my brothers.  This is a pretty good example, however, of how constantly seeking upgrades can be futile.  You see... I don't use the Galaxy.  Ever since I got my Nexus, the Galaxy just sits on the side table near the couch.  I figured I'd use it occasionally when the batter is out on the Nexus.... but I don't use it.  It had a quite thick coat of dust on it when I picked it up.  I figure it's been about three months since I last touched it.  Now that it's upgraded, it will probably be another three months before I touch it again.

Now that useless upgrade didn't cost me a thing.  I was just sitting in front of the boob tube and mindlessly watching television.  A similar upgrade though has cost me more time and a decent chunk of cash.  The iPod Touch.  I finally got it all set up and it's now in my car.  If you recall, I got it so that I could wirelessly sync it.  But since I've gotten it, I haven't purchased any new music.  I.e. there has been no reason to sync it at all.  I'm afraid that when I do need to sync it, I'm going to be in for a disappointment... you see, I'm not sure I will be able to sync it wirelessly.

The computer network in our house is a bit of a mish-mash.  The cable (television, phone, internet) comes in to the modem upstairs.  The modem sits next to my brother's computer.  As techy as I am, R is our in house tech and therefore in control of our network.  The modem is also our wireless router. Both of us figured it being upstairs would be a good thing... it would reach out further that way.  But in the corner of the living room downstairs the signal is very weak.  It was strong enough for my phone useage, but my Mom's computer which connected to our WiFi would sometimes drop the signal.  It was a simple fix... disconnect the WiFi signal and re-connect.. but it was something that Mom didn't like.

So we fixed it permanently.  My computer has always been connected via a wire.  That type of connection gives me a better ping and therefore allows me to game better.  We disconnected that wire from my computer and connected it to one of our old routers.  A short cable now runs from that router to my computer, while another longer cable runs from the router to my Mom's computer (via the basement).  As she's now connected with a wire, her internet stream is constant and strong.

What does that have to do with the iPod Touch?  Well to sync wirelessly the iPod has to be on the same signal as the computer it's syncing too.  Since my computer is now connected to the router, it's technically on a different signal.  When I last wrote about the Touch, I figured it would be a simple matter of turning the WiFi on from the router... but when I tried to do that, I quickly found that it's WiFi signal didn't reach out to my car... the very place where I'd want to sync my iPod Touch from.

Damn it!

That 'upgrade' cost me a couple hundred bucks, several hours in set up, and several hours in attempted network set up... all while sacrificing some space on the iPod itself.  And for all that trouble, I get no benefit.  I'm disappointed in the results, but at the same time I know I'd do the same thing all over again.  Yes, it didn't work out this time but it might have.  And I constantly want to be looking for that 'upgrade'.

I'm looking forward to Windows 10.  I'm looking forward to Android M.  I'm looking forward to upgrading Ginger.  I'm looking forward to getting a new roof on the house.  I'm looking forward to a new job.  I'm looking forward to a promotion.  I'm looking forward to upgrading my phone's service provider.  I'm looking forward to....

I'm just looking forward.





No comments:

Post a Comment