Sunday, September 28, 2014

Headers



I was bored this morning while doing my daily ritual of browsing the web.

As is normal, I ended up at this blog.  I didn't have really anything to write about and didn't have anything planned for the day.  So as I often do when I'm in this state of mind I read some of the posts here.

While reading them I kept looking up at the header and came to a conclusion... the 'mask' theme doesn't really apply here.  At least not any longer.

When I first made this blog, it was an extension of "Caitlyn's Masks"... so naturally the headers were a variation on that.  I think the thought running through my head was something like this:  Caitlyn's Masks is about the visual, so it's headers should naturally be more visual.  Almost all of them had a 'spot color' in them.  Since this blog was going to be about writing, then the color should be gone.  It would just be black and white as text on a page is.

Obviously, that idea of writing a story only lasted a few months.  When I re-started the blog as a place to write from 'my' perspective instead of Caitlyn's, it seemed obvious to change the theme.  Instead of women in masks... men in masks.  Well now over a year later and any reference to masks is gone.  It's still my 'musings', but shouldn't the headers represent that?
But then again.... what represents my musings?  That was solved easily enough... I looked at my post count gadget to the right and saw what I had been writing about.  Prison, Nursing, Cars, Music, Movies... all ample sources for headers.

But as long as I was really differentiating the theme, why not differentiate the title.  An easy change is just switching the focal point.  Instead of the title on the right and the graphic on the left, lets throw the title on the left.  Changing the font was an easy enough decision.  It took me about an hour of playing around to get the basic layout of "Calvin's Musings".

After that it was a few hours of finding appropriate images.  As I moved on from subject to subject, you can see how I got a bit more abstract with the ideas.  You can also see how I started allowing the image to flow all the way across the header instead of merely sitting on the right.

I think they're pretty good and feel far more appropriate to what I do here at Calvin's Musings.  Instead of having you click through to get the random images, here they all are:








And so long as I'm throwing the graphics up, here are the old "Calvin" headers:










OK... this post just became a repository of headers.  Here are the original "Caitlyn's Musings" headers:









...and all the Caitlyn's Masks headers:
























And lastly, the current (and final) "Caitlyn's Masks" header:



No comments:

Post a Comment