Thursday, September 11, 2014

Beggin' Cover and the Other Job


I love discovering new music.  I've mentioned that I get a lot of my music from television shows and about 8 years ago I got a song from CSI:NY.  I really don't remember the scene, but it was from a band called Madcon called Beggin'.

Like most music, I'm not sure what initially drew me into it.  I eventually found it on iTunes and added it to my collection.  It stands the test of time as I'll often find myself jamming to it while cruising down the highway to work.

The other day while driving I was listening to 'Fresh Air' on NPR.  Terry Gross was interviewing Bob Gaudio of the Four Seasons.  Naturally the music heading into and out of the breaks was from the Four Seasons.

One song used was "Beggin'".  I immediately recognized the beat and harmony and for just a moment I thought that I was hearing a Cover of the song that I've had in my playlist for years!

Obviously Madcon made a cover of The Four Seasons' song.  I love a good cover of a good song.  In most instances it's like having a truly alternative version, but here the cover has lead me to a really good original version.  If I hadn't gotten Madcon's version I doubt that the original Four Seasons' recording would have caught my interest.  Thankfully I now have both versions:





Speaking of covers, I got another song from Postmodern Jukebox.  If you don't remember them, they're the ones that made me get a song originally from Hannah Montana.  This song caught my interest with no knowlege of the original version or even the original artist:


It simply put has a good "old timey" groove.  By the lyrics that I caught I could immediately tell that this was originally sung by a male artist.  For that reason alone I wanted to check out the original and see how different it would sound in a masculine voice.  Sadly it seems I'll never know.


Yeah... that's Sam Smith.  I don't know much about him, but when I first found the video on youtube I had to double check to ensure that I was hearing the original.  He just sound so... feminine.  I think the Postmodern Jukebox version sounds almost MORE masculine that Mr Smith.



On my previous post I talked about a new job opportunity.  Well I finally talked to my supervisor about it.  Knowing her as I do I guess I shouldn't be surprised by her response.  She was equally dismayed at the thought of me leaving and excited for the opportunity that it gives me.  She even said "Hell, I'd want that shift and deal with a LOT to get it!".  We talked for about 15 minutes whether she knew it or not, she actually made it a harder decision.

First, shes confirmed (from the nursing supervisors name) that it is in face at the recieving center.  She also told me that the job there is more or less intake of new inmates all the time.  It's not as variable as our shifts.  She wasn't 100% on that, so she emailed a nurse that works there to get me more information.

Second, she made it very clear that she doesn't want me to go.  I would have talked to her the previous day but she was conducting interviews to hire another RN.  If I leave, she has to go through that process again.  But beyond the tedious nature of hiring a new RN, she simply put doesn't want ME to go.   In just over a year I have become THE goto nurse on my shift.   She even made it clear that if I did go through with this and eventually wanted to come back, she'd welcome me back with open arms.

Third, she encouraged me to email the other supervisor.   She could have easily encouraged me to hold off and wait for her report from the nurse that currently works there.  She could have told me to wait while she looks into the position.  She could have simply asked me to wait without giving me a reason.  But she said I should email her that very day while on shift because that shift should go quickly.  It IS a desirable shift!

Through all of that, the part that makes it difficult to take a new position is just the affirmation that I currently work for a great supervisor.   She even said she's write me a glowing recommendation (her words!).  She wants me to stay but she won't get in the way of me leaving and will in fact HELP me leave if it's what I want.  What are the chances that I'll find another supervisor like that?

Neither her nor my own email were responded to, but I'll hopefully learn more later today.



There were some other things that I wanted to talk about, but honestly I can't recall them at this moment.  I will be making another post about 9/11 and this new ISIL offensive, but I want that in it's own post.

---------------
Update 9/12/14 9:10 AM

I'm still on the fence about the Job.  I did get responses, but beyond confirming that there IS a position open and that it does have those hours (M-F 10:30 AM to 7:00 PM, every sixth weekend), I haven't found out much about it.  The supervisor did say that I could call her with any questions.

Here's what it boils down to.  I like my job.  I like who I work with.  I like who I work for.  I like the variable shifts (in terms of what I do each day).  I don't like working every other weekend.  I don't like driving over an hour to and from work.  I don't like getting out of work so late.

If I go for and get this other Job, I'll get the shift (in terms of time worked), weekends, and drive that I want.  But what if I don't like my co-workers? I'm only a year into this job but I could still see myself working there for decades.  I don't think I could say the same thing if I didn't like my co-workers.

But then again... the people I work with has changed.  People move to different shifts, people move from the South clinic to the North clinic to 4 or 5 block.  I can't expect to be working with this same crew for decades.

I think any direction I take, I'm screwed.  If I stay where I am, then every time I have a bad or particularly long day I'll wonder if I shouldn't have taken this other job.  If I take this job, then every time I have a bad day I'll wonder if I shouldn't have stayed where I was.

I don't know.  I think I need more input.  I've talked to a few nurses at work but I think I need to talk to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment