Monday, September 25, 2023

Why are keyboards so hard!?


I just can't seem to get a keyboard that works for me.  And now I'm on the search again.  Come along with me if you'd like!

So that I don't have to cover a bunch of ground, you can read this post from 2021.  If you don't want to read that long post, and I wouldn't blame you, lemme recap it briefly.  I've had many keyboards but my recent history includes the Logitech G710 Plus, the Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum, the Razer Blackwidow Elite, the Rocat Vulcan 121, the Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — CHERRY MX Blue and finally (as of February 2021) the Logitech G915.  

Several months ago I 'upgraded' to a Corsair K100 Air Wireless Full-Size Bluetooth RGB Mechanical Cherry MX Ultra Low Profile Tactile Switch Gaming Keyboard.  It didn't work out all that long so in June of this year I got the Logitech MX Mechanical.  And now I'm already ready to throw this into the trash.  I'll freely admit that I'm getting more and more touchy on my keyboard needs, but damn it I just want what I want.  

The Corsair K100 Low Profile failed for one particular reason;  it turned off too quickly and took too long to start up.  I'd be watching a video and it would turn off (it's wireless and running on battery so naturally I wanted it to turn off), but once I wanted it back on it would take a touch of a key (not the volume roller) and a second or two to get back up and running.  That was a line too far.  

This Logitech MX Mechanical does have several things working against it, but it's not worth getting rid of... except for one deal killer.  The lights turn off.  More specifically, they turn on and off in a way that I can't control.  You see, it has this feature that it 'sees' your hands approach and turns the lights on.  As soon as you're done typing and pull your hands away, it turns the lights off.  Sounds great as that will really keep the battery going for a long time.  And yes, it really does as the battery without all its crazy RGB goodness lasts for weeks.  

BUT... it doesn't work as advertised.  I think and type at the same time.  A lot of the time I just leave my hands over the keyboard, but sometimes I'll pull my hands away.  To pick up a cigarette and take a drag, to move the mouse and do something with it, to change the volume on a song, or look at my phone, or just to sit back and think deeper for a moment.  Any time I do that the lights on the keyboard turn off.  And when I put my hands back near the keyboard... nothing.  Oh it's not all the time, but most of the time the damned lights don't turn on.  I have to tap a key to get the lights to come back.  But unlike the Corsair above, the keyboard isn't off.  So that button I tapped to get the lights on actually typed.  That effect varies from mildly annoying to downright killer.  

So ever since I got my Steam Deck and stopped researching it, I've been researching keyboards.  And here's how that's gone so far:

I'll just go back with the Logitech G915.  It was good.  But I dropped it because I wanted something new. 

I'll go with the Razer version (the current one is the Deathstalker V2 Pro).  But it turned off like the Corsair. 

I'll go with a Keychron.  But they don't do lighting the way I like (it goes around the keys, I need it to shine through the letters).  

I'll go with the new non low profile Logitech (the Pro X TKL).  But it doesn't have the keypad and is made of plastic as opposed to metal. 

I'll go with the full sized Steel Series.  But it doesn't have good media keys.  

On and on and on and on and on and on.  

I just can't make up my mind.  Hence, this post.  

I and going to list out my must have features, my want features, my don't want features, and my deal breakers.  I'm then going to try and use those to find a keyboard that works.  I'm going to try and be really honest as I haven't found a 'good enough' keyboard and don't think one exists unless I pare down some of my 'must have' features to 'want' features.  

Must have:

  • Low profile mechanical
  • Quality
    • Preferably aluminum top plate)  
  • Backlit keys
    • Has to be through the letters and not just 'around' the keys'
  • Media keys
    • Volume knob/roller/slider, play/pause, next track, previous track
  • Number pad

Want:
  • RGB Backlit keys
    • Still has to be through the letters
  • Lighting to show secondary characters
  • Good Software
  • Wireless
    • Preferably with USB C
  • Professional looking
  • 100% layout

Don't want:
  • A brand I haven't heard of before
    • This includes small boutique custom keyboard brands
  • Game or Macro keys
    • Specifically to the left of the keyboard or above the number pad

Deal breaker:
  • Stupid looking font
    • It can't be 'Gamery'

I think that's it.  Quickly lemme explain these.  I need it to be low profile as I just type better on it.  I thought that might be the case and then read my initial review of the G915 and it brought back the 'switching' phase from a full height keyboard to the low profile.  It made me type faster and more confidently with less errors.  So that has to stay.  The quality issue should be easy... I don't like cheap.  I saw a keyboard (a Reddragon Horus somethingorother) that was almost perfect, but it flexed so much and was so much plastic that it was just sad.  I might work well enough, but I'd hate myself every time I touched it so it wouldn't matter.  While I'd love to have RGB, I've grown used to the white lighting I have now.  As long as the lighting WORKS, it should be fine.  RGB showing off the secondary characters would be icing on the lighting cake.  The media keys are what killed me before and I won't compromise on them.  This keyboard doesn't have them, but it's close.  I've programed the volume to the mouse secondary scroll wheel (the thumb wheel) and I've programed the previous, play, and next buttons to some keys above the number pad... but none of this is perfect.  The software forgets sometimes as they're work arounds and I can hit those keys by accident.  And while gamers seem to love not only ten keyless (TKL) keyboards where they exclude the number pad, I just need it.  I type on my num pad often enough without even looking at it that it's more than a 'comfort' issue.  When I have to type without the keypad I have to stop, lean forward, and look at the numbers.  I just don't type that way.  

That's the must have.  Wants are the good sofware.  I didn't like Corsair's software but it worked well enough.  I'd thrown out Razer's software before, but it's been years and a couple OS changes, so I think I'd be willing to give them another chance.  Wireless... here's where I think I'll make the biggest sacrifice.  I LOVE wireless keyboards and will occasionally take full advantage of it, but I think have it as a 'Must have' just limits me too much.  The same goes for professional looking.  I really dislike gamery looking keyboards, but some of the best just look that way.  And finally, the 100% layout.  I saw some that still had the full number pad but were scrunched together.  70% layout or 96% layout... stuff like that.  I'd strongly prefer the full monty but will consider ones that are smller.  

The don't want is small as most things I don't want are opposites of the 'want'.  The brand thing is harder to really layout as I've heard of a LOT of keyboard brands.  But I wanted this here as something like Reddragon should just be put out before it gets to high on my list.  It's a cheap brand.  Same goes with brands that are computer manufacturers as opposed to peripheral manufacturers... Alienware, NZXT, Dell.  I'd PREFER to have a peripheral product and not a computer product for a computer I don't have.  

Finally the only deal breaker I have so far is the font.  That killed me on the Corsair before and I saw that Asus ROG uses a similar font.  No.  Just NO.  

Okay, let's look through some brands.  I'm going to look at Logitech, Corsair, Razer, ASUS, DAS Keyboard, Cherry, and Keychron,  I imagine I'll come across some others as I go along.  I'll only include keyboards that start out meeting everything in the 'Must have' category, and do not have any dealbreakers.  I'll also include the current Amazon or Best Buy price (whichever is better). 

Logitech
First, Logitech is probably my most known brand here.  I've had several of their keyboards and am specifically looking for something to replace their G915 (my last good keyboard).  The natural problem with Logitech that aren't on my above lists are the simple lighting (not a lot of options for RGB variety).  I also know that the G915 is still their king of the line and it was released in 2019.  It has Micro USB while most of their other wireless keyboards have USB C.  I'm afraid the natural replacement for the G915 is just around the corner.  Anyway...
  • G915 - $208.99 Best Buy (sale)
  • G815 - $169.99 Amazon
These have RGB backlighting that only illuminate the letters (no secondary characters).  The software is fine, but doesn't have a lot of lighting options.  The 915 is wireless but has Micro USB.  It's VERY professional looking and is a 100% layout.  

These also have macro keys to the left of the keyboard.  I recall hitting these often.  


Corsair
The Corsair software is very customizable but is bloated.  
  • K100 Air Wireless - $249.99 Best Buy (sale)
I honestly thought Corsair had more low profile keyboards, but this is the only one they list.  This is one that I had was killer on it's sleep/start-up times.  


Razer
Razer probably has the craziest lighting options.  At the same time, their software was the buggiest the last time I used it.  I'm willing to give it a try but Razer screams "Gammery!!"
  • Deathstalker V2 Pro $154 Amazon (ships next week), $249 Best Buy (ships tomorrow)
  • Deathstalker V2 $169 Best Buy 
The only difference between the two is that the Pro is wireless.  They both technically have media keys, but it's a single button.  Press once for Play/Pause, press twice for next, press three times for back.  Not ideal.   It looks surprisingly professional and I believe was designed to compete against the G915.  


ASUS
I'm actually happy now that I've looked with the 'Must Have' and 'Deal Breaker' in mind.  Asus just doesn't have ANY keyboards that match.  


DAS Keyboard
DAS Keyboard only has full size keys.  No low profile keyboards.  


Cherry
Cherry doesn't have any normal mechanical keyboards with media controls.  


Keychron
It looks like Keychron's only low profile keyboard with a volume knob (K17 Pro) doesn't have keycaps that shine the light through.  There are alternative key cap sets that shine the light through, but it doesn't say if it would work with the K17.  It also would need extra programing for the media keys and they'd sit above they numb pad.  AND it's an odd 96% layout.  




Wow.  So it's down to the Corsair (that I've had and didn't like), the G915 (that I've had and wanted to move on from), and the Razer (that has an odd media button).  I'm going to do a quick search for 'low profile keyboard' and see if there are any other options.  

Nope, no more options.  So I'm down to the 'basic' three.  Or rather the three that I've considered for the longest time.  I guess I'll start by eliminating the Corsair.  Just like the Logitech, I've had it before but where I liked the Logitech around its problems, I didn't like the Corsair.  So that leaves the G915 and the Deathstalker.  

One of the problems I had with the Logitech was the wireless switch.  I honestly don't know why it bothers me so much to have Mirco USB, but it really REALLY does.  I've also heard that the Deathstalker V2 Pro has the Corsair problem with waking up.  I.e. it won't wake up with the volume knob and takes a long time even when a key is hit.   Not good.  So with that in mind I'm going to drop the wireless options.  

That leaves the G815 and the Deathstalker V2 (non pro).  They're both low profile mechanical, although the Deathstalker is a newer optical mechanical switch.  It's supposed to be faster, but I'm not interested in that.  What I'm more interested in is the sound and feel and those are the same as the G815.  So no winner there.  I haven't laid my hands on the Deathstalker, but they both look good.  The Razer goes for more of the stealth all black, but it still has a minimalistic slick look.  No winner there.  They both have RGB backlit keys.  The G815 is just through the keys and doesn't highlight the special keys while the Deathstalker shows through behind the keys and through the keys and special characters.  That's one FOR the Deathstalker and one AGAINST it and one AGAINST the G815.  That's a point in favor of the Deathstalker.  The G815 has good standard media keys, while the Deathstalker has a single key.  It might be good, but it might suck too.  I'll call it a point for the G815.  They both have number pads and are 100% layouts.  

With going non wireless, they both match up equally in the Want category.  In the Don't Want category the G815 loses a point because of the macro keys.  

That's one for the Deathstalker and one against for the G815.  With a two point differential, I'll go with the Deathstalker V2.  

I briefly considered going with a Razer mouse just so it would match, but I honestly really like the Logitech MX Master 3S mouse.  I'm not sure what I'll use the thumb scroll wheel for now that I'll have a volume knob on the keyboard, but I absolutely adore the thumb button that lets me slide the mouse to the side and flip from one desktop to the other.  

And it's ordered.  It should be here the day after tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment