Monday, October 7, 2013

Tea is good... and expensive.


When I think of drinks, I more or less categorize them into social and non social drinks.  Beer, whisky, mixed drinks, shots... these are drinks that I partake with friends but not alone.   Soda, water, sports drinks... these are ones that I drink all by myself.   Now that's not to say that I don't drink my 'individual' drinks only when alone, but when I do drink them it's more about satisfying a thirst rather than sharing an experience with friends or family.

The only beverage that I partake in both socially and individually really is coffee.  I drink a couple mugs worth every morning, but I'll also go out and have a coffee with friends.

Well.. that's about to change as I'm now going to be adding Tea to my group of social and individual beverages.

You see, while hanging out with my friends last weekend we had to go to the mall.  On our way out my buddy paused to show me a shop called 'Teavana'.  At first I really didn't think much of it.  I mean sure, they had tea, but really what is there to Tea?

Well... a lot.




The first thing I learned is that while this was a 'mall shop' it in no way reduced the level of expertise my sales woman had.  My experience with tea is drinking it in Chinese restaurants, and the occasional glass of iced tea.  The iced tea I prefer is Red Rose sun tea.   Take 10 bags of Red Rose tea, put them in a gallon of water, place the gallon of water outside in the sun for a few hours and then bingo....perfectly brewed iced tea.  But in a few short minutes I had a brief yet through lesson on white tea, green tea, oolong tea, and black tea.  I learned what separated good tea from mediocre mass produced tea, and that a bad preperation method could ruin even the best teas.

I then was taken on a tour of several pre-brewed teas to see where my tastes lied. I learned that even hot, I don't like sweet teas.  I learned that I don't really like flavored teas.  Most surprisingly though... I learned that I really like oolong tea.  With a bit of information in tow, I was directed up to the sales counter where the sales lady opened up these huge tins of tea.  She would waft the lid over the tin and let me smell the aroma as she described each one.

At this point I was ready to buy some and try it at home.  So I selected out a simple single serving tea strainer, and two of their oolong varieties.  I could see the prices on the tins and at $25 and $17 a pound I figured I would get the minimum two ounces and give each a try for a song.

Well... that song cost me just under $100.  The prices are not $25 and $17 a pound... they're $25 and $17 for 2 ounces.   Compute that out and that's just about $200 a pound!

Now the teas are really REALLY good.  It's not a strong tea, but the flavors are crystal clear, taste good going down and leave a clean palate.

But $200 a pound!!!??  Damn.

At that price I figured it was important to make it properly.  The 'Monkey Picked Oolong" (that's the $25 per two ounces variety) requires a 3 minute steep in 195 degree water.  I really had no intention of buing a thermometer just to make sure my water wasn't too hot, so I went out and bought an electric tea kettle for $30.  It has a digital thermometer built in and will raise the water up to whatever temp you want and then hold it there.  I normally wouldn't go out and buy a $30 appliance just to make tea, but I just wanted to ensure that my $200 tea would be as good as it can be.

I almost hesitate to say this... but really this isn't that bad of a price.  A cup (a 15oz cup) of tea only requires 2 teaspoons of leaves, and those leaves can make up to 4 perfectly good cups.  At this rate the tea will last me several months even if I share it with anybody that wants some.

I did share a cup with my mom and my brother... but I'm not sure they understood what oolong tea is.  They both reacted much the same way.... "It tastes kind of weak".  Well.. yea.  Compared to the tea dust that is Red Rose black tea, it is weak.  But the flavor is far more complex, and at least to me, far more pleasing.

This tea experience won't replace my coffee... nor should it.  It's a completely different taste and experience.  It probably won't reduce my water or soda drinking either... but it will be a momentary blissful vacation each day as I sip away.

Oh... and when I do eventually run out I'll be trying some other tea varieties that hopefully won't be so eye poppingly expensive.

4 comments:

  1. Jeez, at that price per ounce you are better off buying weed!

    Sounds like you had a great buying experience though. I don't drink coffee, so I really loved a good tea, though now I can't have any :(

    Nothing better than a good electric tea kettle. You can also use it with a thermos to make real fresh oatmeal or quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that type of price comparison, but after consulting with... um... a... source(??... yeah.. source. That makes it sound legitimate!) a pound of good weed goes for just over $400 a pound. On the other hand, mediocre weed at $200 a pound would probably make me happier than great Tea. Thank goodness I don't have to choose between the two!

    Beyond the fact that they're both hot beverages, I've never seen the commonality between Tea and Coffee. The taste and texure are so vastly different that I'd never consider Tea as a replacement for my morning brew. Nor would I consider the heavy coffee as a replacement for a relaxing cup of steeped bliss.

    I hear ya on the electric tea kettle. For anything over 120 degrees (which comes out of the faucet quite quickly) there isn't a more effective method of heating water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea is love. Just as us English people. I have friends who are tea fiends and they go ape over Oolong, but that is the LEAST flavourful of the teas they can offer. Try and get Longevity Eyebrow if you can, they rave over that one, I shall see what else they recommend when I next get a chance to talk to them.

    I can, of course, recommend a good English Breakfast tea (have without milk) for a meal myself. I don't really 'do' tea, but that's a good one if you get the right supplier.

    Aaaand now I have confirmed every stereotype about Britain and tea-drinking that ever existed. Excuse me, the Queen is popping by in an hour and I simply must dash out into the rain to get the right forks. Toodle-pip! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fairly long list of teas to try, but I'll certainly add 'Longevity Eyebrow' to the list... if for no other reason than that I love the name! I'm not sure when I'll get around to trying a blended tea like an English Breakfast Tea. My next forary into testing teas will be to get a really good Black Tea. I'm hoping that the stronger flavor will be a good contrast to the smooth yet complex Oolongs.

      Delete