I left off with having the job offer from the contract company (a 12-hour 2nd shift position at the prison) and a phone call from a recruiter regarding a nighttime admissions nursing job at a mental health hospital. I chose to go with the recruiter even though it wasn't a job offer. Before I go forward, I should explain that decision.
I've talked plenty about working at the prison. I think it was the best job I've had. I've felt the most fulfilled and think I'm built best to do that job. BUT, they turned me away for over a year. Not just going back as a manager, but even returning as a floor nurse. I mean, even that last attempt at a contract position (that I would have turned down since I'd already started the admissions job) was mysteriously taken away at the last minute. So while I'd love to go back, I'm suspicious of going back. And going back as a contract employee means absolutely NO job security. I've been on the managerial side of that. If you don't want an employee, you don't even have to 'fire' them. You simply call up the contract agency and tell them that the nurse is no longer wanted or welcome at your facility. No two weeks notice, no even having to face the nurse. So I could see going to work at the prison, someone higher up finding out that I'm back and no approving of me being there, and then just being told I'm not welcome back.
On top of that, I'd be starting over. This has nothing to do with contract labor vs being a state employee as either way I'd be the nurse with the least seniority on the continuous service list. Sure, if I stay for five years as a state employee I get all of my ten years of seniority back, but for those five years I'm the 'newbie'. That means I get all the shit assignments. I specifically do not like, and am not good at, passing meds. And that's exactly what the low man on the totem pole does.
On top of that, going back as a contract employee MAY lead to me becoming a state employee but there's no guarantee. That means never getting a retirement account set up, no paid leave (more on that later), no holidays, no sick time, and most importantly... no insurance. Yes, it pays more per hour but I've heard over and over that your benefits package should even out to being roughly half of your pay. If you're pulling down $50 an hour, then your benefits package makes that worth about $100 an hour. State nurses get paid $50 an hour while contract nurses get $64 an hour. Without the benefits, that's getting paid $36 an hour LESS.
On the other side of the coin, going back into admissions at another hospital would still be learning the insurance system. This particular hospital has a lot of growth so it could mean more upward mobility. Getting back into management faster. It would probably even mean getting to actual work (and not just training) faster as I'd just left a similar position. And of course it would have a full benefits package.
So, I told the contract agency that I loved getting the job offer but that I had another contingent offer that I was going to pursue. They responded politely and I waited for the interview, which they set up for the following day (I told them I had several pokers in the fire and would take the first serious offer I was given).
The interview went really well. It was with a member of the HR team and the CEO of the hospital. The CEO admitted he was skipping several parts of their standard questionnaire as I'd already been working in a similar position, meaning I knew what the job entailed and was obviously qualified. In fact, most of the interview felt like they were selling ME on the job rather than me selling them on hiring me. I was asked directly how soon I could start ("I can start tonight, but I'd probably be tired") and if I had any upcoming vacation that could get in the way of their training ("No").
As I shook hands at the end of the interview I was told that they had to do their background checks and such but that I should hear back within a day or so. I honestly had the feeling that this was just going through the motions and that I had the job.
I guess I need to get that part of my brain checked out as two days later I was told they went with an internal candidate. The recruiter had mentioned a possible "roaming nurse" position before the interview so I asked if that was still a possibility, but was told that the roaming nurse position was "also put on hold".
Also? I though they went with an internal candidate, not that the job position was on hold.
So, I took my licks and went back to the contract agency. I told them that the contingent job offer fell through and asked if they still had the position at the prison. I was told no, they'd already filled that job, but that there was a midnight position available with either 8 or 12-hour shifts. Wanting to get back to work, I told them I could do the 8-hour shifts as I knew that would be more valuable to the prison (covering more nights as opposed to covering several half morning/evening shifts). Then two days later I got the last of the three gut punches.... they filled the night position.
MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!
I somehow went from two solid jobs to none. And I'd spent a week and a half NOT looking for a job.
I took a day to feel bad about it before putting my big boy pants on and getting back into it. I fixed my federal prison job application (since they'd changed it since I'd last applied) and even found another couple jobs to apply to.
Then on Tuesday I got a call and an email from the contract agency with a job offer for the prison. I was initially suspicious as I'd been working with a single person at the agency, H. This wasn't from H as she was evidently out on some days off. Instead this was the CEO of the agency contacting me on behalf of H. My conspiracy antennae immediately went up.
Consider: IF the prison did not want ME specifically, they might not tell all of the contract agency. They'd tell the person who they work most closely with. H. They might have literally told H "Don't don't hire Calvin." and then a day later I find out the night position has been filled. I'd have no way to find out, the contract company (including the CEO) never hears about it, and the prison keeps using the contract company to get a job. There's no chance I make a fuss about WHY I wasn't hired. '
Sounds far fetched, right? Just remember that late last year I heard (on the down low) that a higher up in the prison system said I would NOT be hired and that's why I wasn't hired at the half dozen jobs I'd applied to before. So there ARE forces working against me.
So, I took it with a grain of salt. I called the CEO back and said that yes I was interested in the night postiion and would like the 8 hour shift. She said she'd inform both the prison and H and that H would call me on Thursday when she got back. I put that information in my back pocket and continued to act as if I hadn't heard anything. I didn't want to lose another few days just waiting to hear that "Oh we're so sorry, that position was filled again!"
Thursday came and... nothing. No call, no email, no text.
I figured on Friday morning, before I did my job searching for the day, I'd sent a quick email or call to the contract company and see what the hold up was. Instead that morning I got an email Teams meeting invite for New Hires. It was setup as a way to meet the team and get information about starting out.
I still took it with a grain of salt, but scheduled the meeting for that afternoon.
I almost lost my shit when the meeting wouldn't start. I had my phone open and kept clicking into it, but nothing was happening. I finally tried on my laptop (my desktop doesn't have a convenient microphone or camera) and BOOM, got right into the meeting.
The CEO was in the meeting. H was in the meeting. Another manager was in the meeting. And more importantly, four other 'new hires' were in the meeting. This wasn't some elaborate set up to fool me or egg me on, it was an honest to Goddess meeting for new hires.
Now, to be honest, I could have run this meeting as it was designed to help new hires without to work in a prison. I'd wager that I was the only one in the meeting that had actually been inside of a prison. The important part as far as I was concerned came afterward in the emails. I got an email for the paperwork to sign... including an official job offer. I got a link to set up my physical, drug test, and TB test. I got a link to the department of corrections training system to set up my training account. I had to fill out an I9, a W2, and all other manner of official new hire paperwork.
Sure, this paperwork is with the contract company and someone at the prison could still come in and say "Oh Calvin? No, he can't work here. Send him home." but its looking less like that's going to happen. At the very least, it would happen AFTER I start at the prison.
All the paperwork is finished. I have my medical appointment tomorrow. In a couple days I should get my training packet and can start that (it's 47 packets and I get paid $10 per packet completed). My first day of training at the prison (assuming all of my training packets get done) is the 28th of September. I imagine I'll have to train on all three shifts which means doing med lines again, but that shouldn't take long. Riding a bike and all. I imagine I'll be on the night shift before the end of October and then working five nights a week and every other weekend.
A couple things I learned in the meantime. The contract company does give time off and sick time, though they are both grouped together and practically useless. I 'earn' one hour of paid time off for every 35 hours worked. I can only use up to 72 hours of paid time per calendar year and cannot use any of it until I've worked there for six months.
I learned that my COBRA insurance from the previous hospital costs me $1000 a month. Technically a bit over, but only a bit. When I was setting it up I had to pay just under $900 for August event though it was September AND $1000 for September. I'll owe another $1000 in October. My first check from going back to work won't come until mid October. Now, I'd budgeted to not be working until mid November and not getting paid until December, but I hadn't budgeted for the insurance (stupid of me, I know). By my quick budget I was going to run out of money before I got to that first paycheck.
I had my 401k as my backup. I only had $6000 or so invested into it and after taxes that would be closer to $4000, but that's enough to get me by. But I thought I might need that in December, not later this month. Setting up my bank account for a direct deposit from the company takes like three weeks, so I had to pay $50 to get it through expedited mail. They should process that on Monday, ship out a check on Tuesday, and get it here by Thursday. That, assuming I get paid when I think I will, will cover me just fine financially.
The one real bummer is going to be the drive. Going to the hospital I used to work at was a 45 minute drive. Going to the hospital I worked at before the migraines, was a 40 minute drive. Going to the hospital I interviewed at was a 50 minute drive. The prison is right in line with thouse at around 50 minutes. BUT, the prision is down a two lane state highway. All the others are down the interstate.
Tatiana drives herself, but only on the interstate. She won't drive herself on the state highway. I know, I know... a tiny, insignificant price to pay, but I'm still bummed about it.
Anywho, unless anything unexpected comes up I don't imagine I'll have another post about the new job until well into October at the earliest. I'll mention it in my Update posts but nothing big. Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment