Saturday, January 17, 2015

Music is Life


I just had to share a new ear worm.  Heads Will Roll by Yeah Yeah Yeahs (video/audio below the jump).

I heard this the other day at work and recall bopping my head and tapping my toes to it.  At first, that's all it was.  Just a nice distraction in an otherwise blah day.  I didn't give it to much mind as it was obviously more pop/techno than I normally go after.

The next day when it came back on, I paid a little more notice.  Not enough to even look at the artist or song title, but enough to realize that I did like it... at least in the short term.

At that point I figured I'd never hear it again.  I think I mentioned before that I listen to iHeartRadio at work.  Not because I like it, or because they're particularly good... because they can't seem to block that particular internet feed and it's better than the two OTA radio stations I can get.  The biggest problem of iHeartRadio is that they are primarily concerned with commercial music.  Music that they play is practically guaranteed to be playing on their various stations.  The list of songs played is tragicly small and when I come across a song that I haven't heard before, it's rarely ever heard again.  So the fact that I heard this song twice in as many days means that it's just not going to be played again.  Pity.


So when it came on the NEXT day and I found myself moving my shoulders in time (while documenting on an inmate that shoved a pen up his penis), I paused long enough to check out what this song was.  I immediately smiled as it's an artist that I know.  I don't remember how I first heard the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but I liked them enough to get a couple of their songs.  I have both Maps (GREAT intro!) and Gold Lion.

I love finding a song from an artists that I enjoy.  It's especially rewarding when it's not a new tune, but a song that I missed.  That feeling is almost as joyous as finding a 'new' artist and their music.

Before I go too far, here's the songs I'm talking about:

Heads Will Roll

Maps

Gold Lion

I watched the video for Heads Will Roll for the first time just now.  Umm... what the fuck?  I expected something about dancing as the song seems to be about being 'on the dancefloor'... but what exactly inspired the Michael Jackson Werewolf with the glitter blood?

Anywho... I ended up buying the song and have been listening to it all morning.  It probably won't go down as one of my favorites of all time, but it will stay in the playlist for a while.

Some other songs that I've gotten recently:

I Started A Joke (Pet Shop Boys)

I Started A Joke (Bee Gees)

These songs I got from a video and cap that Dee shared on her blog.  The Bee Gees is the original, but I got the Pet Shop Boys version too as, at least initially, I liked it better.  A few days later, and I think I like them both equally.

Stacy's Mom (Postmodern Jukebox)

I LOVE this song.  I've liked the original version by Fountains of Wayne since it was new, but this version is just great.  Musically its fine, and as with everything from Postmodern Jukebox, it's crazily mixed up with it's 30s ragtime feel that includes lyrics like "Stacy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me.  I know it might be wrong but I'm in love with Stacy's mom"  And that singer (Casey Abrams) just lets it all out!

All About That (Upright) Bass (Postmodern Jukebox)

Another Postmodern Jukebox song.  There's plenty of reasons to like Postmodern Jukebox, but one is that it get's me to listen to and enjoy songs that would otherwise completely fly under my radar.  There is nothing about "All About That Bass" that I would enjoy.. but throw the 'Postmodern' spin on it and I can't help but listen.  And peel away the techno/bass/pop parts... and the song really does work.  I can no appreciate the original even if I don't add it to my collection:

All About That Bass (Meghan Trainor)


As always, I'll remain vigilant for new music, no matter what form it takes or where I hear it first.


1 comment:

  1. I think the video with the Michael Jackson Werewolf thing was in reference to a song Michael did in the late 90's called, ironically enough, "Blood on the Dance Floor".

    ReplyDelete