Monday, December 31, 2018

A Year In Review - 2018


This whole ‘year in review’ idea am from Joanna on her Happiness blog.  I haven’t visited her site or really any blog in quite some time but this is an idea that I plan to do as often (annually) as I can.  It’s just a bit of a review of what happened over the last year and a list of questions.  The questions, over time, and their answers should be telling on how I’m changing.  I’m writing this without looking at the previous answers so they won’t bias my answers now. 


Let’s kick this off in the most basic way.  2018 was at best a neutral year.  At worst it was a bad year.  But as I look back at the posts I wrote, there was actually quite a bit of good.  The good just happened to be surrounded by several long lasting and seemingly all-encompassing problems.  Let’s go over the good first.  I took several vacations including another trip to New Orleans, a beer vacation to Grand Rapids, and another trip to Chicago.  I bought mom a new (to her) car.  I bought myself some new gadgets and toys including a Walkman (digital of course!), a Google Home Hub, and a whole new computer.  I got a new job.  I took care of several ongoing health problems.  The bad is a similar list… the trips to New Orleans, Grand Rapids, and Chicago weren’t as good and/or fun as previous trips.  As gadgets tend to do, they’re wonderful at first and then just fade into the background.  The new job is difficult, far away, and far FAR more stressful.  I took care of the health problems but it took all year long to do so. 

Another big theme for me this year has been Caitlyn.  I’m trying to make her a more regular part of my life.  Not just a sexual fetish side kick or a part of me I explore at D+X and no where else.  I told a friend about that side of myself, so one person in my ‘meat’ world now knows of me that way.  But I’m still not open about it.  The other big theme was politics.  I’m quite liberal in most aspects of my political leanings, but I’m getting sick and tired of all the liberals thinking anything and everything President Trump and the republicans or conservatives are doing is a constitutional crisis or signs of Nazism or racism.  We actually need to govern and I want us to try to work with the other parties involved instead of simply pointing fingers at them.  The Government is shut down and yes, I believe President Trump is to blame for it but I don’t see the opposition party putting up anything other than a sound bite on President Trump’s border wall idea. 

Another theme that’s come up in my life but hasn’t really been discussed here at the blog is financial responsibility.  I’m realizing I’m quite bad at it.  And it’s going to be a theme for 2019…. Getting better.

The family is mostly okay.  My younger brother was in some financial troubles for much of the year, but it seems to have been pulled under control.  My older brother is looking forward to retirement and actually saving money up to buy a house in the UP of Michigan.  Evidently within 10 years he plans on being gone.  That’s going to leave me with the house and getting rid of it because while I hate to admit it, Mom isn’t going to be around in 10 years.  She’s over 70 now and her COPD is getting worse and worse.  She’s thankfully using her oxygen more to compensate, but it’s not staying at merely ‘bad’.  It’s getting worse. 

If I had to give myself an emotion to describe 2018 it would have to be anxiety.  I’d almost say depression, but I’m on meds to make sure I don’t fall into depression any longer.  It’s not happy.   It’s not joyous.  It’s not even just lonely… I’m anxious about mom, I’m anxious about my career, I’m anxious about my future, I’m anxious about both of my brothers, I’m anxious about my finances, I’m anxious about my health.  That’s a lot of things I can’t control, so that’s another reason I want to tackle the finances.  Maybe I’ll write about that this weekend… start the plan making phase. 

Anywho, on to the questions!










1.What did you do in 2017 that you'd never done before?

I had a root canal.  Not fun, but it took care of some long-standing dental pain.  And sadly it might be repeated in 2019 as I recently had another crown put on and it aches several days a week.  

I also took on a nursing supervisor role at work.  I’ve been a nurse for years and I’ve been a supervisor in several companies, but never both like this.  And never a supervisory position for a state government.  MAN there’s a lot of red tape!                                                                         


2.Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don’t remember if I even made a new year’s resolution last year.  I’ll look in just a second but first, for 2019 I plan on being more financially responsible.  Less “Oh MY GOD where did all that money go?” and more “Wow, I saved away how much this month?”

Okay, it looks like I didn’t do any resolutions last year. 


3.Did anyone you know give birth?
Nope. 


4.Did anyone you know die?
I want to say yes, but it wasn’t anybody close.  No close relatives.  My Aunt’s health took a very scary turn and I don’t think she’s long for this world… but she’s not dead. 


5.What countries did you visit?
Just the good old fashioned USofA.  I got to New Orleans again, Grand Rapids Michigan for the first time (great beer town!), and Chicago of course.  I hope to hit up Dallas again this year and maybe San Fran.  For more local trips, I hope to have a long weekend in Traverse City and maybe extend that north to Sault Saint Marie.


6.What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
A reduction in stress.  Work is such a bitch and it follows me home almost every night.  Some of that reduction in stress will certainly come if I get a handle on my finances.


7.What date from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
It’s not a specific date, but November 2018.  It was the month I went to my new job which was also the location of my first nursing job.  It also marked my five year anniversary as a state employee (I started 4 months before that as a contract nurse).


8.What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My go to answer should be getting the new job as it’s a big stepping stone.  It’s a transition away from floor nursing and into management which offers more challenges (different challenges) and more money.  But I’m not sure this was a good move yet.  It’s only been a few months and I’m still finding my way at work.  If I had to put something here that is definitively good… buying Mom her 2015 Ford Escape Titanium.  She loves it and I’m far more comfortable with her in it (and I use it twice a week to drive to work myself!)


9.What was your biggest failure?
Giving up on a job that I enjoyed because of another nurse.  I failed.  I ran away to a new job instead of dealing with it.  And from what I’ve heard, it’s been harder at my old job on the nurses I liked because of my absence. 


10.Were you seriously ill during 2018?
No?  It’s not like I had to go to the hospital or had a scare… but I wasn’t healthy either.  My migraines got a LOT worse and were slowly dealt with (only 3 migraines in the last 4 months where I had like 3 migraines in the last week of 2017).  My shoulder was bad and I feared I’d have to have surgery but after almost a year of physical therapy it’s far far better.  I won’t need surgery, but it’s on the list of ‘bad parts’ like my bad back and bad eyes. 


11.What was the best thing you bought?
Again, the easiest answer is Mom’s car.  But that’s just because it was a grand expensive gift to her.  If I take this in a more personal way, I’d have to say my new computer.  It’s not only fast (the ones I built before were fast too), but it’s the first time I’ve purchased a computer from a company since 1994 and it has a three year full warranty.  (IT’S SO FAST!)


12.Whose behavior merited celebration?
While I’ve been witness to a lot of good behavior, I don’t think anything stands out as meriting celebration this year.  Not from me, not from my friends, not from my co-workers, not from my family.  Good, just not great.


13.Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
That’s going to be an easy answer for the next couple years…. President Trump.  I won’t even try to list the things that he’s done that appalls and depresses me.  He’s just a terrible person and a horrible leader.


14.Where did most of your money go?
Car and student loan payments.  I don’t see that changing for the foreseeable future.                                                                   


15.What did you get excited about?
I’d have to say getting the migraines under control.  They really were debilitating and not having to deal with them or fear them on a daily basis is truly a relief. 


16.What songs will always remind you of 2018?
Fast Car by LEO featuring Mary Spender (link to youtube).  It’s so wonderfully emotional and encapsulates that duality of happiness and sadness I often feel. 


17.Compared to this time last year, are you:
Sadder/Happier?  About the same.
Thinner/Fatter?  Fatter.  The migraine med makes it harder to control my weight, but it’s a good trade overall.
Richer/Poorer?  Poorer.  When I consider losing my bonus at my previous job and the raise from the new job I just about make even money…. But I spend a LOT more on gas and other work expenses. 


18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Pay attention to my finances.  Also just love more… love my family, love my friends, love my co-workers.


19.What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worry.  Worry about my finances and health and family.


20.How will you be spending Christmas?
Umm… I’m writing this after Christmas, so I spent Christmas as normal with my family. 


21.What is the one thing you would have gone back and done differently this year?
I’m not sure.  The answer I want to say is make the last job work instead of moving on to this new one, but I’m not sold on this being a bad move just yet. 


22.Did you fall in love in 2018?
No. 


23.Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No.  I did admit to myself that I hated that nurse at my old job, but I honestly hated her in 2017 too… I just hadn’t accepted it at that time.


24.What was your favorite TV program?
Three shows tie here. 
The Orville (hilarious take with an almost serious Star Trek vibe)
The Handmaid’s tale (wonderful in almost every single way)
Star Trek Discovery (duh, I’m a trekkie!)



25.What was your greatest musical discovery?
IF it can be a single song it would have to be Fade Away by WE ARE FURY (youtube link).  I haven’t explored their other music, but I was turned onto this song by a woman at D+X and it’s just a wonderful song.  If it has to be an artist it would have to be Run The Jewels.  Their Legend Has it might have been used in a Black Panther TV ad, but it’s just a bad ass song as is most of their repertoire.


26.What was the best book you read?
I read several ‘meh’ books that were both long and took an extra long time to read.  If I had to call one the ‘best’ it would be Stephen King’s short novella Elevation.  Good, but nowhere near great.


27.Are you happy with your lot?
Yeah… I guess.  I could be happier to be sure, and I’m not sad about my lot, but instead of focusing on my happiness I find myself worrying more about how I could make it better. 


28.What did you want and get?
Control over some health problems (migraines and shoulder)


29.What did you want and NOT get?
Mom to be healthier. 


30.What was your favorite film of this year?
I’d have to say Annihilation.  Really good story and really good storytelling.  There were plenty of good movies, especially fun action movies, but not a lot of great movies.  To be fair, I haven’t seen A Star is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody, both of which I heard are really great. 


31.What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 44 in 2018.  I worked that day.  Nothing special.


32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I have to return to having my health under better control.  Being able to focus on quitting smoking instead of getting the migraines and shoulder under control.


33.How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?
Outside of work there has been no change.  I did buy my first pair of tennis shoes since high school and even wore them a few times… but I don’t like them so I returned to my loafers.  At work I had to switch from scrubs to shirts and ties and I have to say that is immeasurably satisfying.  I think I look good in them and have been told that I’m the most fashionable person at work by several different people.  Let’s be clear, I work in a prison so it’s not hard to be ‘fashion forward’ with even a little effort.  But it was still nice to be told that!


34.What kept you sane?
D+X.  Reading failed me as there were a lot of ‘meh’ books.  Movies and TV failed me as I have to watch them in such an extended way (a few minutes before work and then that’s it), and even music failed me.  No, it was D+X that kept me sane.


35.Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I think I’ve used this before, but with our current President I’ll often and repeatedly be reminded of how much I loved President Obama.  He could have been talking about the very same policies that President Trump does but he’d do it in such an eloquent and compelling manner that I’d probably be convinced about building a border wall.


36.What political issue stirred you the most?
Just the political divide getting so wide and seemingly unfixable.  I obviously dislike our current President but I also dislike his policies.  At the end of the day though, government needs to run and he got elected.  We need to work with him and not against him.  That doesn’t mean roll over and show our belies, but we can’t be the party of ‘no’ that the republicans were for so many years.  Maybe this will change with the democrats taking over the house, and maybe that ‘blue wave’ will be enough to send President Trump out of office in 2020, but what happens then?  Then we have about half of the country absolutely hating whomever is in office. 

Just think of several political issues and think not only how you feel about it, but how the other side feels about it:  Border Wall?  My side thinks it’s a stupid waste of money and those on the other side must be racists.  The other side thinks it’s necessary and those on the other side must hate America.  Tax Cuts?  We think that they’re unnecessary and in fact rates should rise on the wealthy and anybody on the other side is hoping to kill off funding for every other government program by defunding it.  They think that they’re empowering all Americans and that the other side is hoping to choke off all business and job creators. 

It’s not enough that we disagree politically, it’s that we view the other side as stupid and unamerican.  We need to just stop it and work together for a more common middle ground.  I won’t get the universal healthcare that I think is needed.  I won’t get the gun control measures that I think will save hundreds of thousands.  They won’t get a border wall and the privatization of social security. Com.  Pro.  Mise. 


37.Who did you miss?
I really missed my Dad.  He’s been gone for so long now that I’d think it would become just a part of my own sense of self, but I really REALLY missed him this year. 


38.Who were the best new people you met/got to know?
My new co-workers.  P and G who work out in the blocks where my ‘office’ is are particularly great people.


39.Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018:
There is no getting all of what you want.  I’ve now had financial freedom for five years and I’m more worried about my finances this year than I was six years ago.  I have a great car, easily the best I’ve ever owned… and I want a better one.  I have a great computer but had to give up the ‘quiet’ nature of my last build and want that back.  I want.  I want.  I want.


40.Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
This is from my song above “Fade Away” by WE ARE FURY.  They use a plural in their lyrics that doesn’t quite work for me.  When I listen to it, I hear it this way in the singular.  When I hear it, it’s about me:

I'm going numb
Myself and your affections
I'm going numb
Losing my perfections
Don't take it lightly
I could die in the moment
Lost in slow-motion
I could die in the moment

I won't get away this time
No, I wasted all my brighter days
So close your eyes
The storm is coming one last time
My hope is washed away
Now I'm left to stand and watch me fade
Faded away
I watch me fade
And watch me fade



So that’s 2018.  Not a great year in my estimation but not a bad year when I look at it objectively.  I’m the only thing standing in my own way.  The first few months of 2018 seemed to drag on and on and on while the last few months flew by in the blink of an eye.  I think that will reverse itself as the main reason these last few months have gone by so fast is the job.  I’ll talk more about that in another post, but basically I don’t get shit done outside of the weekend.  And because of that the weekend is so full that I rarely get to ‘fun’ stuff.  Until I get work better settled in my own head I won’t be able to get a grip on my personal life. 

I peeked at last year’s predictions and one of them has turned out to be, if not absolutely true then the start of a trend.  I had good years and now seem to be paying for them with bad years.  Again, that’s all on me.  My circumstances have improved, but I’m seeing more cloud and less silver lining. 

I hope everybody has a great and wonderful 2019! 

No comments:

Post a Comment