Monday, January 18, 2016

Autumnal Musak


I'd love to say that since the last time I posted about my music I've gathered up an amazing collection of songs that will blow your heart away.

I mean... it's been since October 8th!  Surely in 102 days I can come up with something grand, or spectacular or wonderful!  Right?

Umm...  no.  Unfortunatly including the three songs that I just now purchased, I have only accumulated 10 new songs.  And one of those is a Christmas song.

It's just been a dry few months for me and music.  I thought starting the new job in November would be a boon to my music collection.  A whole new crew of co-workers to bounce music ideas off of, several radio stations including a 'Classic' rock station that also plays new rock music.

But I swear, I think I ended up in some kind of music purgatory at work.  The first problem is that a majority (maybe 60%?) of the nurses there prefer to have NO music playing at all.  NONE!  Many of those nurses are at least on the early shift, so by 3pm they're all but cleared out.  But the nurses that remain for the rest of my shift?  There's the nurse that prefers christian music.  I have no problem with Christianity, but just as I don't look to the Vatican to make a good dramatic movie, I don't look to the Christian media companies to put out good music.  Even if I could get past the singular nature of the music subjects (there's the one about praising God, and then the one about how we're all horrible people until we take God into our hearts... that's it.  Variations on those two subjects.)  their music tends to focus on hearing the message.  Meaning that it's clearly spoken lyrics with some sort of musical accompanyment.  It's not about good music, it's about spreading a message.  I'm sure I said this before, but I look at the singer as merely one piece of the music and it shouldn't be the sole focal point.


So there's that nurse.  She complains about all the hateful music on the classic rock station.  I wouldn't characterize rock music as being about love, but it's not hateful either.  So obviously I'm not going to bounce music ideas off of her.  There's the nurse from Zimbabwe.  Her musical tastes are.... well we're not on the same page.  Most of the music I like tends to give her a headache.  And by 'music I like' I have to put almost all electric music into that category. Not electronica.... electric.  Electric guitar.  So yea... no rock there either.  There's the eclectic ADHD nurse (seriously, she's a good nurse but she'll walk into the middle of a conversation about how best to treat a patient with a nasty wound and start talking about how she carries her dog in a baby carrier while riding down the highway on her Harley), and music just seems to throw her off.  She'll get into the most random song for no reason whatsoever... and then not be able to focus on anything else.

And then there's my supervisor.  She loves country.  I think there may be a couple dozen country songs I can stomach.... but that's about it.

So... no new music at work.  At least not much. And with the short trip to and from work, I now get to listen to maybe one or two of my own songs each day.  So with nothing really else to inspire me, I present to you the 10 songs that caught my attention in the last 100 days.

Can't Help Falling in Love by Haley Reinhart

I got this from the weirdest place.  On facebook I decided that it's worthless to follow any of the 'hey look at this distracting thing' sites like distractify.  Instead I follow George Takei (yes... the gay guy from Star Trek), and he has a bunch of that crap on his feed.  Plenty enough to keep me distracted when I need it.  Anywho, he linked to this gum commercial with this song in it.  Amazingly enough this is one of the singers in Postmodern Jukebox, and I just adore her voice.





Building a Mystery by Sarah McLachlan, and Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen

I put these two songs together because I got them for DX.  Yes, while playing at DX I was assigned a task to sing a few songs that people suggested.  One player suggested I sing Building a Mystery and while I kind of knew the song, I really had no idea how I would 'perform' it in character.  So I bought it so I could listen to it over and over.  After my 'performance' I swear, they were trying to trip me  up.  A couple people later they suggested Call Me Maybe because I had said in a different thread earlier that I couldn't stand the song.  Yes... they knew I would buy it to help out my performance so in essence, they made me buy it.  The Mclachlan song isn't all that bad, just not my cup of tea.  I've officially unchecked the Jepsen song so that it never plays on my playlist again.  As is, just getting ready for the in character performance I listened to it 18 times.  Gag. 


The 12 Days of Christmas by Straight No Chaser

I was talking to my brother about how I couldn't find any new (or at least new to me) Christmas music.  He brought this up as an example of how bad new Christmas music is.  I love this song... it cracks me up every time I hear it!


Changes by David Bowie

This wasn't meant to be a tribute to the late great David Bowie.  I actually bought this song when I wrote my Ch Ch Changes post back on December 26th.  I didn't have the song so I just bought it so it could play in the background.  What a horrible loss.  I'd normally go out and buy some of his music to help me get by his passing... but frankly I already have most of his music that I love.  One thing that I learned from his passing was that he wrong The Passenger and was friends with Iggy Pop.  I never new knew that but it made me respect him all that much more.


Where Is My Mind? by The Pixies

I heard some commercial with a song that sounded familiar.  I figured out what the song was (don't ask, I don't remember) but it wasn't the song I was thinking of.  After a couple days it hit me... I was thinking of the last scene in Fight Club and this is the song that was playing then.  I dig it!

One Day / Reckoning Song (Wankelmut Remix) [Radio Edit] by Asaf Avidan & The Mojos

I got this one from a Taco Bell commercial.  The one about having the 'dreamers' get college scholarships.  


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1O2xEV8ohg
March of the Pigs by NIN

I can't seem to insert this video.  I'm assuming there is some copyright issue.  But it's off their Downward Spiral album.  Oddly enough, work got me this song.  Seriously, there is a whole batch of CDs (I have no idea how you get a CD inside the secured perimeter).  No one likes it, but I put it on this weekend while I was alone.  I was JAMMING out to this song in particular.  




Story of My Life by Social Distortion

I could have sworn I had this song. But after I put NIN into my iTunes shopping cart this came up as one of the suggestions.  I checked, nope I don't have it.  Although how this get's suggested after NIN, I'll never figure out. 


 
Writing's On the Wall by Sam Smith

I got this song because it was used in the newest Jame Bond Movie Spectre.  I'm not sold on it yet, but figured the only way to really find out was to listen to it a few times.  



And that's it.  No really great songs.  Nothing horrible (well... call me mabye (gag)), but nothing that makes me socks go up and down.  

Here's to hoping there is some great winter music to be had!


No comments:

Post a Comment