Thursday, October 2, 2014

Overtime... not by choice


Yesterday was a boring one at work.  No transfers, a small handful of 'easy' call outs.  No urgents.

During the med line, when I can't see any inmates, I was slowly finishing up all of my charting.  Slowly because I had nothing else to do.  The two previous days were also slow, so I had done most of my 'busy' work then.  When I finally finished up I... well... I'm not to proud to say that I fell asleep at my computer.

Now, every time the phone rings in the clinic, there is a moment to be afraid.  Afraid that someone is in real danger... that I'm going to be called out to someone in cardiac arrest, or a suicide attempt, or a very serious injury.  I didn't like phone calls before this job, but I'm really starting to hate them now.

Yesterday the phone was going off more and more.  Up until nine o'clock they were all from other nurses in the facility.  I traded shifts with one nurse, I helped another with a difficult patient decision, I helped hunt down some paperwork.... all good calls.  But that pesky law of averages screwed me and karma caught up to me in a big way with that last phone call.  That last call was from one of my supervisors saying that the night nurse had called in sick.
This was eerily similar to a few weeks back.  I was having a good day and got the same call.  With no third shift nurse, they had to have someone come in and take her spot.  Nobody wants to come in on short notice to cover the entire facility alone on short notice.  I'm sure most people just avoided the call.  The ones who did pick up the phone said 'no thank you'.  As the nurse on duty with the least amount of seniority it came down to me.  I was mandated to stay over and cover that shift.  And just like then, I was mandated last night.

Part of the frustration comes from our mandation process.  Once you are mandated to cover a shift, you can't be mandated again in that quarter until every other nurse has been mandated.  I had just been mandated a few weeks ago so I thought I was in the clear.  Nope.  The new quarter started.... wait for it....

October 1st.  I literally became available for mandation that very day.

So instead of coming home, watching some television, getting a good nights sleep, and getting up early for my dental appointment, I worked another straight 8 hours.  This night's shift was better than the last as I didn't have to turn around and come right back for another day's work (today is my 'day off'), and I wasn't alone.  I was officially orienting a new night nurse.

Talk about the blind leading the blind though.  She had only one shift of training at night, while I only had one previous night's shift under my belt.  Technically I was the only RN on shift so if anything went bad, it was my ass on the line.  At the same time she actually had a shift of training so she kind of knew what had to be done, so she was showing me how to process orders and do other things.

Maybe if the night had a little more 'action' I wouldn't have been quite as tired.  But as the hours continued driving on, my eyelids were getting heavier and heavier.  About an hour before the end of the shift, the other nurse was talking to me and it was one of those stories that wandered from subject to subject, but didn't seem to have a break or pause where I could join in.  So I sat there listening and listening.... I became aware that I had fallen asleep when I heard her giggle and say "There's no way you are getting home tonight!"

Yeah... I fell asleep while talking to someone.  Ouch.

Eventually the first shift nurses came on.  I had to tell all three individually that yes, I did in fact get mandated, yes I did in fact work 16 hours straight, and yes I do in fact want to leave NOW!  The drive home was unremarkable.  Thank goodness there was plenty of traffic to keep my attention on point.

Overall it wasn't a bad experience.  It wasn't anywhere near a GOOD thing to get mandated and I wouldn't have wanted to get mandated, but that's part of the job.  I find it quite funny that all of the nurses aware that I was getting mandated overnight including the supervisor that mandated me, the evening nurses that got to go home, the nurse that I was 'orienting', and the nurses coming on in the morning, all pooh poohed the idea of me getting mandated and acted as though I should be outraged.

What?

Except for the supervisor and the nurse I was orienting, each and every one of them could have stopped me from getting mandated.  Each one could have volunteered for the shift (they all admitted they were called). I seemed to be the only person that was OK with the situation.  I mean how exactly could I be upset with people not volunteering for the shift when I myself wouldn't have volunteered for the shift.  I don't even have any malice toward the nurse that called in sick.  I've called in sick knowing damned well that someone would more than likely get mandated to cover my shift.

And that fact about it being the very first day that I COULD be mandated?  Yeah, that sucks, but it does have an upside.  I now can't get mandated for another three months.  That will cover all the holidays except for New Years Day.



OH... and just a quick aside;  I went to the optometrist yesterday.  I last had an eye exam and got new glasses back in February of 2011.  Three and a half years.  I was LONG overdue for some new specs.  When I last went in, I didn't have any vision insurance.  I got my exam and glasses at the local Sam's Club and it cost me about $400.  That was BIG money then as I was still in school and I believe it was money from a tax refund.

This time around, I DO have vision insurance.  Sam's doesn't accept my insurance so I went to the optometrist that I've wanted to use for years.  It's a local independent shop that's more on the high end, but from everything I've heard it's well worth it.  And hey, with vision insurance I figured I could get a better pair of glasses (and sun glasses), along with a better experience and pay about the same as I did before.

Well... no.  It turns out when you select out your frames and lenses without thought to cost, you end up buying some of the most expensive glasses ever.  My final bill including all the discounts and deductions that I get from my vision insurance is....

Over $800!

When I get the new specs in and give them a try I'll write more about them and how I feel glasses really do define me.

No comments:

Post a Comment